Home - Plux Butterfly ChairsWebshopDealersContact
Login:

loading...One moment please, images are loading... close

Designers:

The chair was designed by the "Austral Group" for an apartment building in Buenos Aires (Argentina). The partners of the group were Antonio Bonet, Juan and Jorge Ferrari Hardoy Kurchan so the chair was named "BKF". Over the years, was given the seat different names. The name "Butterfly" or "Butterfly chair" is the most famous name, but he is also known as the "AA" chair or the "Hardoy chair". Most European writings write the chair to Hardoy because this man was active in Le Corbusier and so was the best known of the three, which is probably the reason is that few people know that there are three designers were involved.

History:

The "BFK" chair (1938) is a modern adaptation of the "Paragon" chair, which was made as garden furniture in the 1870s A later version portable "Tripolina" chair was introduced in the early 20th century .

On 24 July 1940, the chair was displayed at the 3rd Art Decoration Fair in Buenos Aires.
At the request of Edgar Kaufmann Jr., the Design Director of the MoMA (Museum of Modern Art in New York), sent Hardoy three (3) pre-production seats to New York. One of them went to the MoMA and one is in the house "Fallingwater" designed by the famous American architect Frank Lloyd Wright for Edgar Kaufmann Jr., but went no one knows where the third seat going.

Artek-Pascoe produced the chair between 1941 and 1947.
The fact proclaim the "BKF" chair as one of the "best efforts of modern design" and the prediction of Kaufmann that seat very popular in the US would be, Hans Knoll brought led to commercialize it and to To add to the Knoll-line in 1947, after the bankruptcy of Artek-Pascoe. After losing a lawsuit for copyright in 1951 Knoll stopped production and was the chair copied.

Original version:

The first and original Butterfly Chair of the "Austral Group" in 1938, is metnioned in writings as "Painted wrought-iron rod and leather."
In the house "Fallingwater" Edgar Kaufmann Jr., there is one chair that was sent by Hardoy in 1940. The frame is painted a reddish-brown, but it was done so by analogy with the color of the windows of the house. The cover is a two-piece, unbleached cotton cloth (ecru).
In the MoMa under the name "B.F.K. Chair" there is a black painted frame with a four-piece leather case. Surprising mentioned is that this chair was performed by Artek-Pascoe, so it is not the original seat.
The Museum of Knoll in New York shows as "Hardoy" -chair a stainless steel frame with a black four-piece leather cover dated "1947".
In the book "1000 Chairs" by Charlotte & Peter Fiell A version of Knoll, republished after 1951 Stöhr, being a black lacquered frame with leather four-part cover and a second seat, a copy without license, shows a white painted frame with a Red four-piece cotton cover.

Our conclusion:
The first frame was therefore a painted steel frame.
The first cover of leather was saddle leather and two-piece, without seams which backs the comfort benefited.
The first of cotton was a cover in unbleached cotton cloth (ecru), also two-piece (see the cover in the house "Fallingwater").
Only in the production by Artek-Pascoe and later at Knoll came the four-part cover.